Friday, February 8, 2013

Texas Vs. California?


Our most recent participation topic was on Texas Exceptionalism and I do believe I found an article from the Austin American Stateman titled, Perry heads to California on job poaching trip, by Jonathan Tilove. This, in my opinion, is the perfect article to basically back up the idea of not only "Texas Exceptionalism" but rather any state in general. While many of us do believe Texas to be the best, I'm sure many living in California believe the same about California. 

This particular article addresses a Texas Vs. California mindset. Is California better than Texas or perhaps vice versa? It's absolutely crazy the negative attitude those quoted within the article have towards the "other" state. One of my favorite quotes:
It’s a cry for help. Perry can’t create jobs, he can only steal them from other states. His campaign for the Republican presidential nomination was a joke. His beloved Dallas Cowboys haven’t been in the Super Bowl since 1996.
I'm truly hoping this was not meant to be serious. Really? The Dallas Cowboys is an argument in regards to which is the better state? It starts with the mocking but it only gets more intense as the article goes on. 
Check out a state that ranks dead last in the percent of its population with high school diplomas. Come check out a state that is last in mental health expenditures and workers’ compensation coverage. Come check out a state that ranks first in the number of executions, first in the number of uninsured, first in the amount of carbon dioxide emitted and first in the amount of toxic chemicals released into water.
This hurts my Texan heart.

Overall, it's a great article to read on how Texas is looked at from an economic view and ultimately within the eyes of politicians from California. In my opinion, and this may be just because I'm not a politician, but I believe they should be thinking about the well being of the United States as a whole, not about who's better than who. Just my two cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment